Wednesday, April 30, 2014

WHEN WHAT WE HAVE IS LOST

When what we have is lost,
temporarily, we hope,
we go in search of it,
each going our separate way,
each of us following a different path.

I go to the forest seeking peace,
a leafy glade where my soul finds itself again
and cries out to you
like a bird calling to another.
It is such a desolate sound,
this crying of my soul,
reaching out, reaching up
and up to an empty sky
like a lark ascending, vanishing
into the rose-burnished clouds.


And you, where do you go?
To a place of mystery, I suspect,
a place I cannot even imagine
and could never enter.
Like Diana, do you seclude yourself
in a grove, a grotto?
Do you strecth out on a crag
overlooking the sea?
Do you contemplate dashing yourself
upon the rocks in a place where I will find you
smashed to bits like some wreckage of a ship
lost at sea, all hands drowned?
Why not wait for me to rescue you,

like Perseus rescued Andromeda? 

No comments:

Post a Comment